FACTS ON LIVER TRANSPLANT SURGERY
Liver transplant is an operation where the liver of a diseased patient with a whole or partial healthy liver is replaced with that of another person.. Though a single organ, liver can be broadly divided into two parts like the right and left liver and 8 independent segments and each of them has its own blood supply and billiary drainage and functions as a single organ. Liver has a hepatic artery which supplies oxygenated blood, a portal vein which carries blood from intestines to liver and bile ducts draining bile formed in the liver to intestine.
Bile is produced in the liver which is drained by billiary tree. Gall bladder is a reservoir for the bile as it lies on the liver bed and is attached to bile duct which regulates the delivery of bile into the intestines. Liver has the remarkable capacity to regenerate after division into parts. This forms the basis of Live Related Liver Transplants and this is the reason why live related liver transplant is possible.
Functions of the Liver –
In the human body, liver can be found in the right upper abdomen. The liver carries out various functions like the detoxification of substances delivered to it from the intestines and the synthesis of many proteins.
- The main organ of metabolism, liver is the powerhouse of the body as it involves series of breaking down and making up of chemical reactive and generation of energy.
- Liver processes and removes the drugs, alcohol and other substances generated in the body that might be harmful.
- Food is converted into chemicals by the liver which is necessary for life and growth.
- Elements are produced by the liver which is necessary for the absorption of fats and vitamins.
Who requires a Liver Transplant?
Liver transplant in India or anywhere in the world is needed by patients who are suffering from –
- Damage of liver due to alcoholism (Alcoholic cirrhosis)
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Long term (chronic) active infection (hepatitis B or C)
- Liver (hepatic) vein clot (thrombosis)
- Metabolic disorders associated with liver failure
Hospital care is needed for patients for one or four weeks after liver transplant, depending on the degree of illness. Patients must take immunosuppressive medication after liver transplantation for the rest of their lives to prevent-immune-rejection-of the transplanted organ.
Various types of liver transplant –
Liver can be obtained from a deceased donor of live related donor. Patient can have low cost liver transplant india at a nominal payment.
Deceased Donor (Cadaver) – Liver is obtained from patients who are brain dead. Such a person is dead from legal, spiritual, ethical and clinical point of view. After a brain dead patient is identified and is deemed to be a potential donor then the supply of blood to the body is artificially maintained.
Living Donor – Liver has the capacity to regenerate if a part o normal healthy liver is removed. We can thus divide part of liver from a live donor and implant it into another patient. In a live donor, a portion of the liver is surgically removed from a live donor and transplanted into a recipient immediately after the recipient’s liver has been entirely removed.
Read more: Best Dietitian In Delhi